101 things about me

Friday 28 January 2011

Saying goodbye is never easy...






































I am hopeless at saying good-byes. I try to keep them short and sweet because I get emotional otherwise. Which generally means I don't manage to say the things I want to say.

And more often than not, I cry. Why you ask? Well, 'coz that's just what I do! I try not to, which means when the tears do ultimately come (and they nearly always do), it ain't pretty! It gets all gulpy and blotchy and runny. Just plain embarrassing really.

Today is going to be full of fond farewells.

After-all, you don't work in one place for five years without making friends. Good ones. And despite the fact that I am ready to begin the challenges of a new job, I am not happy about leaving so many great people behind.

Five years working in the same place has it's pitfalls and there are many things I will not miss. BUT. I will miss the people I have worked with for so long. People who have made me laugh, kept me busy, listened (and not listened), brought me back to earth, even shared a few tears... and through it all, kept me sane. I can probably even blame a bit of the crazy on a few of them as well!

Regardless. I have made good friends. And for that I am so so grateful. Because at the end of the day, good people are what makes an ordinary job good. And a good job great.

So to all of you who kept me sane and made my working day all the easier, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I will miss you.

Saying good-bye is the hardest thing.

5 comments:

Stephanie Ring said...

I too had to say a big farewell this week when my adult son left yet again for overseas after being away for 3 years, then returning for the month over Christmas and January. It was so lovely having him here and your piece about good byes made me think about how inadequate you feel at the airport with all the platitudes and little pieces of advice whcih you know are most likely hot air. Poignant moments like these - don't know when we'll see him again. Life doesn't give you any training or readiness for what your children do when they flee the nest. Can only think of Kahlil Gibran's piece about - your children are not children - you are the bow and they are the arrow flying away - or something like that...

Nikki said...

All the best for the next stage..... :)

Red Hen (dette) said...

Good luck with your new job! Heres to a year full of positive change!

meli B said...

I have a firm belief that things happen for a reason. Good things happen when you least expect it. Good Luck

Louise Dalton said...

New Job Haiku:

Off to the new job...
Who knows what adventures await?
Get Stuck into it girl!