101 things about me

Monday 8 November 2010

The people you meet and the friends you make...

During my recent travels to the States, as well as catching up with old friends and reconnecting with people from long ago, I also had the pleasure of meeting and spending a few days with a blogging friend who I had only met online.

I met Patty online way back in 2008 through our blogs. I remember it was around the time that my brother died of kidney cancer as her husband had kidney cancer too. We made contact at a time when we both needed someone to talk to, when our lives were both in turmoil. Patty's husband of over 10 years Frank, had survived 4 years since his first kidney tumor was removed, though when we met, the cancer had returned and it was stage 4 and she was his full time carer.

He lost his fight and died on February 28th this year. Throughout this time, we have checked in on each other, emailed, visited each others blog and even exchanged snail mail. And so, when I told her I was heading to the States, she booked flights to NYC at the time that we would be there and we spent 3 days together exploring the sights.

It was nice to hang out, to see the sights, to explore NYC together and to meet face to face. It was odd not only meeting Patty in person, but spending 3 days (and nights) together in NYC, and I have to admit, there were some people who thought it was a bit crazy. But it was great fun and we had a ball! And she was not a psycho-killer or stalker!

Patty has two blogs. One is a crafting blog (Midwest Knit Girl), and the other one (My Cancer Hat) talks about her life as carer (and loving partner) of her husband during the cancer treatment.

She no longer posts to My Cancer Hat which was her chance to speak about her and her husband's lives with cancer from the carer's perspective, though it is still active if you would like to visit.

So, Patty was a treat to meet and full of energy and fun. We never stopped for the entire time we were in NYC together and it was lots of fun. She even sat in as lead news reader on the NBC tour! 

And just this Friday, as a halloween treat, I received a package of American candy... I have been on a sugar buzz the entire weekend (notice I have managed to post each day!)



Here we are - Patty, me and my Mum in bright sunshine on the ferry, bound for the Statue of Liberty!

2 comments:

LesleyG said...

That's so great! I've never met anyone from the Internet world that was less than wonderful, either. It only sounds crazy to the people that don't "get it." :)
Wish we could've met, but someday!

meli B said...

Great story and connection. I would have met up with a blogger buddy too. Wouldn't have thought twice. She sounds like an inspirational person with good taste in 'candy'.