101 things about me

Wednesday 10 June 2009

I blame the TV...

I don't watch a lot of TV. Even the amount I do watch is too much. It takes up too much time, does not stimulate my mind and if I allow, it manages to fill my night. Before I know it, it's time for bed and I have wasted another night. It is a trap.

Quite a few years ago, my partner and I got rid of the TV for 6 months. And I loved it. I read more. I listened to the radio more. We talked more. When the football season began, I was convinced that the TV come back into our home. And it infiltrated into our lives and much of our spare time again.

The TV I own now is only tiny. Small enough to be hidden in a cabinet and not take over the room or the conversation. It can be closed away completely when I please and I like it that way. In fact, I would quite happily not have a television at all. And so, when people realise what viewing I am 'reduced' to, and they ask me why I don't upgrade, I tell them it's not a priority.

Of course, it does make watching subtitled movies pretty much impossible. And whilst I could blame that on the fact I could really do with getting my eyes checked, I blame the TV.

7 comments:

Umatji said...

I was raised without a TV and so have no resistance to it. I have only lived for 6 years of my life with a TV in the house and now we don't have one. I love having a Tv-less world. We have a lap top and in the warm as toast living room with the fire blazing we occasionally link the lap top to a screen and watch a DVD. This indulgence is such that it is a treat and by hassle of moving the lap top (you can see how lazy I am) we don't do it too often. Anything worth watching eventually comes out on DVD and my partner occasionally goes to the pub to watch a particularly crucial footy game. But radio, board games, books, comedy on record or cd and good conversation are my memories of my childhood evenings and my family are still close now. We are trying to do the same thing in our family and so far - so good!
Great to read your post!
Umatji

Anonymous said...

I am so with you on this one!!!!! I have one TV and have to limit the time the children watch it. I absolutely hate television (even though I watch it occasionally just because it's there!)I bought a piano recently to put in the window (where the TV was) and I am planning to phase it out completely (but the men in the house don't realise it yet!) It is making it's way towards the door inch by inch. I even thought about pretending it was broken because we couldn't afford to get it fixed or buy a new one! It is the enemy of creative thought along with housework and cleaning but that's another story!

Renee said...

I watch Lost which I am crazy about and that is it. Never have been a television watcher.

I received a very pretty postcard and I LOVE IT.

Thank you Cinta and you know what, enjoy the memories. They are a gift.

Love Renee xoox

Bec said...

I feel much the same way about TV. Although I do enjoy watching my recorded comedies, but that's about it. Our TV is bulky and outdated and I know people are sometimes aghast that we haven't 'upgraded' to a flat screen or plasma or whatever (especially when we have clearly spent money upgrading other aspects of the house). But both my husband and I feel we just don't need a reason to watch 'more' TV. And we're actually proud of our daggy tele. Feels good to keep it as an 'unimportant' piece of furniture in the house :)

Rebecca said...

I so totally and utterly agree. I have not liked TV for years and wouldn't have one if it wasn't for my husband - and watching dvds. It certainly doesn't have a position of prominence in our house either! We have a fireplace in our lounge and a few people have suggested mounting a flatscreen TV above the mantlepiece - I can't think of anything worse!!!

Anastasia said...

i cant believe the size of TVs these days - such a status to have a huge one haha they are horrible and people want them to appear like a feature in their homes! Im probably more on the internet than watching TV but sadly i dont think i could not live with one...

LingoVise Says... said...

Amen. We don't watch TV either. As in none. Sure we've got a television. But what we don't have is cable, satellite or rabbit ears.

We do however watch quite a few Movies... I'm a really big film buff. And Thank heavens for DVDs - which is how I catch up on any TV that might actually be worth while - like Entourage, Californication and the like.

IMHO Reality TV is bane of all human existence.