101 things about me

Tuesday 27 May 2008

This is something I got, but (until recently) still hadn't used...


OK - call me a cheat. But this is the story, of the crepe maker. The item that I got and (until recently) still hadn't used. It's a story worth telling and like all good tales, it talks of rejection and heartache, loss and betrayal, an ultimate reunion and finally a happy ending...

Until recently this item sat hidden away in the kitchen cupboard. It was a Christmas gift in 1997. I quietly sighed at the time, wondering when I would ever use it, and where I could fit it in my limited kitchen storage. I occasionally spied it, but it stayed in it's box until less than a month ago, when I grabbed it out of the said hiding place, and decided it was headed for Ebay. I offered it to visitors, but no-one wanted it.

And then there was a turn of events that would rescue it from EBAY oblivion. We had guests for dinner and no dessert. With the thai curry finished, I had to confess, there was nothing sweet to follow.

"Hmmm," I said... "I do have a crepe maker. We could give it a go if you want to - I'm sure I have flour somewhere!" (OK - so I don't bake very often). The response was enthusiastic. Within half an hour, the crepe maker was released, the instructions read, the recipe followed and the first crepe was being served. Except for the somewhat stale flour (hmmm - not good) it was a great success. We all ate as we created, and entertained ourselves with methods and some mixed results.

Needless to say, it has been returned to the cupboard for future use. Once I buy some new flour.

The subject for this weeks "This is..." was bought to you by Flossy-p.
The "This is..." meme was started by the very creative Angela of Three Buttons fame.

8 comments:

Dees said...

Well good for you miss crepe suzette!I applaud you,I never ever even come close to delivering a perfect crepe or pancake!hubby is a pro so I leave it up to him!hugs Dees

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Great post! You had me hooked in the first paragraph!

Malcolm Garth said...

Hmmm, I think the comment was "a little bit stale"...?

I'm sure the crepe maker would have come out again already if we had fresh flour but the memory of the "original" flour used has prevented further experimentation to some extent.

Ames and Mick said...

Yum, you're making me hungry. When I come for my next sleep over we're definitely doing the crepe thing!

Louise Dalton said...

I used to work in the 'small electrical' section of a department store. I was perplexed one day when someone asked for "a crepe-maker...." "You mean a crepe pan? - I can take you down to the cookware section..." I replied. No - an electric one.... "An electric Frypan... we have those!..." No, an electricl device specially for making crepes....
"Really... is there such a thing? Errm ummm, we don't have any, sorry..."
And now I know what they look like... (Maybe my customer was your gift-giver!)

PS: Thanks for your encouragement re my fitness regime! I have a looong way to go and need all the help I can get!

Reenie said...

Yay.. success for a newly used good.

Thanks for the heads up re Magnolia Square.. reckon I might head there tomorrow afternoon...

I'll report back on how I go.

Lilli boo said...

I think I want one..much more useful then you would think..I feel you have sold us on the concept...now a letter to Santa Claus.

flossy-p said...

Oh, I missed this last week. This is such a great epic tale... I'm so glad it found it's fate and saved the dinner party :D

Sounds delicious actually.