101 things about me

Friday 2 May 2008

I've been tagged ... About blogging!

I have been tagged by Flossy-p about my blogging and after some lengthy pondering, here is my response...

1. Why did you start your blog?


I love to write and often sent out epic emails to friends and family about what was going on in my life. I had friends trying to convince me for ages about the joys of blogging and to set one up. One particular friend had a blog (Three Buttons) and once I got into checking on her daily posts and all her links, well I couldn't resist.

I think it is the perfect forum for creativity and self expression.

2. How did you come up with your blog name?
One Little Acorn came from the saying "from little things big things grow". It seemed like a good start for a new creative outlet. The name was an important decision and had to be relevant. The planting of one little acorn was symbolic of growing a more creative lifestyle. I haven't looked back.

3. Do your friends and family know about your blog? What do they think about it?

I couldn't help myself. I told family and friends about it from the very beginning. I try to be open and honest, however I do tend to edit some of what I write so as not to offend or shock (too much). I have considered setting up another blog that no-one I know would visit, but I barely manage to post regularly here as it is and besides, I love all my regular visitors and I would hate to lose them. I have regular readers, (some friends and family check in daily) many of whom are new friends I have met through blogging.

I often have people discuss posts with me away from 'blog-land' and I am happy to say the comments and feedback have always been positive, so I consider myself to be very lucky.

4. How do you write posts?

Usually it starts with something that is going on in my life. I try not to get too serious... I see something funny, inspirational, annoying, or downright ridiculous and it may trigger a post. I love to share new things and so I often find myself thinking "That would make a great post".

I get inspiration from other bloggers too. If I use their idea I always refer back to the original source.

At the moment I have 28 drafts on the back burner ready to be edited, completed and posted.

5. Have you ever had a troll or had to delete unkind comments?

I have never had a troll or deleted any unkind comments. Thankfully I haven't had the need to.

6. Do you check your stats? Do you care how many people read your blog? If you do care, how to you increase traffic?
I love to get comments from newcomers and people I know, and hear their responses. I use clustermaps to track how many people check in on my blog and love to see new dots appear on the map. You know I have a reader in Iceland? That's about as far from Australia as possible. How incredible is that? I also have regular readers from Europe, Canada, America, Japan and Australia. This internet thingy makes the world seem just a little bit smaller and I love it!

I would love to say the traffic doesn't matter, that it is the act of blogging that is important, but I would be lying. I love the feedback from all my readers and I love that they return to say hi.

For me, the best way to increase traffic, is to post regularly and visit lots of other blogs and leave comments. I always try to visit everyone who leaves a comment and say hi and I also love to read about other bloggers.

7. What kind of blogs/posts interest you?

I love all kinds of posts. The ones written from personal experience and opinion are the best. Funny, creative, witty, sensitive... they are all great. The blogger that opens their heart and writes freely is an inspiration. I also love the artists out there busily creating and sharing their art. The creativity is incredible.

8. What do you like and dislike about blogging?
I do love to blog. I really like feeling like I am connected to other people. I love seeing the creative possibilities and reading about inspirational people. I love that it motivates me to write and create and share ideas and continue to commit to a creative life. There is great work out there from writers, artists and crafters alike. If I let it, I could get overwhelmed and never post again, but I figure I will learn more and grow more if I get involved and work at it. I love bloggers who share ideas and inspire.

For me, lack of time is the worst thing about blogging. I never seem to have enough time to post on a daily basis. I envy those people who manage to post every day. There are SO many inspirational and creative bloggers and I just never have enough time to visit them all regularly. Also the fact that I type so slowly gives me no end of frustration and I wish I was more tech savvy so I could do all the little extras... if I had time that is!

I tag:
Just Run Just Live Just Be
Alyndabear
Ames at Smile and the World...

10 comments:

dragonfly said...

I did this tag a while ago and it really got me thinking too.
I've enjoyed reading yours and I think us bloggers are a pretty similar bunch of people!

Bec said...

I really enjoyed reading this - love how you came up with your name too! I think Dragonfly really hit the nail on the head, when she said "I think us bloggers are a pretty similar bunch of people". (Oh, except I can't believe you have 28 drafts in progress!!! I always do one post at a time so never have any drafts sitting around....hehehe, so I guess in some ways we are very different too :P)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

This is a great read. I have to say, this is my favourite tag that is going around at the moment, I find it all so interesting.

Thank you too for the feedback on my banner. I'm going to go and try to have another bash at it soon ;)

brandy said...

This was a fun one to read! I started blogging for the same reason- my mass emails to friends were getting longer, and more frequent! We definitely have a lot of blogging stuff in common.


Oh, and I love that you shared where you blog name came from!

Red Hen (dette) said...

I enjoyed reading this post, it reflected my own thoughts of late. I have often questioned my motives for blogging. I enjoy the creative community and exchange that is possible in this forum, I too find it helps me to focus on what it is I want to create and I have come to realize that I simply love to chat- my teenage daughter calls me a "random talker" I will chat to people anywhere- the emergency department at the hospital, the check out lady, my daughter's friends (much to her embarrassment!)- this gives me the opportunity to talk to people everywhere.

Jimmy Trickle said...

Great post - its nice to hear the story behind the story as it were!
I started blogging as a way of trying to tether all the disparate ideas I have in one spot (also I'm crap at returning emails so for friends and family far and away they can at least know I'm not dead). I have also found that as a person often at the shy end of the spectrum - posting lets me contribute despite all the noise out there.

Lisa [strickerin] said...

Great post. Interesting to know a little about you.

xDubai dot.

flossy-p said...

Thank-you so much for playing along. Its really nice hearing more about your little space. I love the reasoning behind your blog name, and I am truly amazed you have 28 draft posts! That must feel so good.

It's so nice to know you :)

Daydream Lily said...

I really enjoyed reading this :-)

Its nice to hear what gets people blogging and why they like to blog. The blogging community is so nice, Im always glad I decided to start a blog.

kathijane said...

I happened upon your blog because of the title and love your reason for the name:) I love acorns for the fact that everything that is needed to become that giant oak is right there in that little acorn!