101 things about me

Thursday 30 August 2007

Cliff Young shuffle...

I have been running with Amy. I should say jogging. It is a steady (all be it slow) pace.

Amy has great patience and talks to keep me distracted. I try to contribute to the conversation and find it makes it easier if I can concentrate on that and not on how far I have to go. Later in the jog, my responses are a little shorter and puffier, but I am improving. She has a great policy which I love and is giving me results way and above what I was hoping for.

The rule is, no stopping no walking. I always thought the best way to start running would be to incorporate it into my walking and gradually build it up over time. NO. This is allowing the body an easy way out. Too easy to give in and not get the results I want. And so we never stop. We run. We slow down up hills and concentrate on breathing. If I start to struggle, we slow it down and then pick it up again as I recover. But we never ever stop.

I call it my Cliff Young shuffle. For those of you who don't know the name, Cliff Young, at the ripe old age of 61, shuffled his way into the record books, winning the inaugural Sydney-Melbourne ultra marathon. It is an incredible 875 kms. Pretty amazing hey!

So last night we jogged 5km! OK, it's hardly Cliff Young status, and there are probably regular runners out there who may well smirk a little at 5kms, but I am proud (and amazed) beyond belief. Fantastic achievement for someone who 3 weeks ago didn't think she could run 500 meters!

Now 10km is my new goal. Bring it on Ames, bring it on! (By the way, are these the endorphins kicking in or what??)

4 comments:

Ames and Mick said...

Oh no, I have created a monster!!! You are doing brilliantly! It's amazing how quickly you can improve, I love your enthusiasm and your surprised look after each run. It's great to feel that sense of personal achievment and to me - that's what running is all about.
See you Monday...

Malcolm Garth said...

Hey there sporty spice! Well done, it was such a short time ago that you didn't even think you could run at all...
Keep at it, I will now have to try and catch up...

Angela said...

Very impressive! Your making me want to start jogging... I know that once you start it's addictive. And what great weather to start jogging with!!

Anonymous said...

Go Girl !!!
I walk my dog and I thought a brisk walk would do me but maybe I need to do the Cliffy Young shuffle. I know exactly who and what your talking about there.
Jogging may also help my sore shin I tend to get from walking so fast.