101 things about me

Tuesday 15 May 2007

Camp Creative 2007


As part of my 'Year of Creativity' in January I traveled North to New South Wales to a town called Bellingen. This is the home of Camp Creative, an annual event where people come from miles to take part in creative pursuits. Courses run for one week and range from writing and painting to mosaic, circus skills and singing.

I arrived to find the small town flooded with more than 1100 participants. There were over 50 courses! It is truly an amazing setting for a fantastic week of challenge and fun. Logistically they do an incredible job. I went to write. The course I took was 'writing that article'. Now, it wasn't exactly the course I was looking for as I am not really interested in becoming a journalist. I want to use my writing more creatively. Having said that, I really enjoyed the week and learned a lot. I left all motivated to do a lot more, really spend some time developing my skills. Alas, I have not been as committed as I had intended. Time to get more motivated again.

I would like to return to Camp Creative next January. There is a certain magic there. An enthusiasm for stretching one's imagination and dreams. I am waiting eagerly to see what courses are on offer in January 2008 and may even suggest Mum comes along. Mal will be working by that time in January, so I think I may be leaving him at home!

I stayed at the local youth hostel. When I arrived, reception was closed and so I sat outside and chatted with the house cat. She sat on the table alongside this bunya pine cone.

No comments: